Special Course Qualification Requirements
There are a number of special courses for old students in this tradition of Vipassana meditation practice. These courses have certain requirements which an old student must meet in order to qualify for admission. The basic qualification requirements are as follows:
Dhamma service on long courses
Dhamma service on long courses is open to old students who are committed to this technique of Vipassana meditation, who have successfully completed three 10-day Vipassana courses in this tradition, who have served one 10-day course, who practice two hours a day and maintain the five precepts.
Self-course for Serious Old Students
Self-courses are for serious old students who have completed at least three 10-Day courses - the most recent being within the last two years. There are no teachers present, no student managers, no noon interviews, and no question/answer sessions at the end of the day. The evening audio discourses are required, and the students attending are responsible for playing the tape at 7pm.
- Students are expected to follow the same time-table as a regular 10-Day course.
- Follow all the rules and regulations (noble silence, 8 precepts, etc.) while at the center.
- Have not practiced any other techniques since your last course with Goenkaji or one of his assistant teachers.
- Trying to maintain daily two-hour practice since last 10-Day course.
- Trying to maintain the five precepts to the best of one's ability.
- Permission must be granted from an assistant teacher to attend the course.
Old-Students-Only 10-Day Course
Only to be held at centres where individual cells are available.
Instructions & discourses are the same as regular 10-Day course.
- Completion of at least three 10-Day courses with Goenkaji or one of his assistant teachers.
- Have not practiced any other techniques since last course with Goenkaji or one of his assistant teachers.
- Trying to maintain daily practice for one year.
- Should be keeping five precepts to the best of one’s ability and strictly keeping 3rd precept (abstaining from sexual misconduct) and 5th precept (abstaining from intoxicants) from time of registration for course.
- Completion of at least one Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta Course.
- Must be a serious old student who is making a significant contribution to the spread of Dhamma.
- Must be practising Vipassana exclusively (not practising any other meditation techniques).
- Must be trying to maintain a daily practice of two hours per day, at least from the moment of application.
- Must be trying to maintain Sila in daily life.
- Must have sat at least one Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta Course.
- Must have local Teachers' recommendation.
- Priority will be given to those who have not sat a TSC before.
These requirements may change annually.
The above are minimum requirements and not a guarantee of admission. Application for admission to each of the 10-Day Special Course, 20-Day Course, 30-Day Course, 45-Day Course, 60-Day Course and the Teacher's Self-course must include a recommendation from an Assistant Teacher who knows you well and a Full Teacher from the student's local area. Application for these courses must be made with a special long course application form which you find on this website and is available from each of the Centers.